I’ve made two new resolutions seeing as my January plans have all drifted away:
1. I’m not going to join a sports club. I have confidence on this one as I’ve never yet joined a sports club.
2. I’m going to blog every Sunday for a year. Now this one is gonna take some sweat (perhaps even more than the sports club!!)
So, I’ve been working with a Japanese publisher for almost a year now. Perhaps the best thing I can say about my performance thus far is that I’ve yet to be thrown onto the heap of discarded, urusai (loud and obnoxious) foreigners who have not been successful working on Japanese text-writing teams. In fact, there are only two kinds of foreigners in Japan – Easy gaijin (foreigner) and difficult gaijin. I went in with my eyes wide open, and up for the challenge of being useful and harmonious.
I’m sure that my first meeting was the most difficult because even with the best of intentions (to sit and be quiet) I found myself being the first of the ten of us to speak up – and that was after a grueling minute or so of tempered silence in which the Japanese Wa wafted throughout the room. I hope I’m not sounding too facetious because after 5 meetings, I’ve really come to like the group of varied personalities and the array of valuable perspectives. I hope they like me as much as I like them…
Anyways, I’ve edited the first 6 chapters of the first Ko I (grade 10) textbook and am currently procrastinating on the 7th chapter which is due within the next 24 hours. It is a very interesting process which seems at times a cross between the rubik’s cube and sudoku.
As far as my contribution, I’m given one long story for each lesson that has been cut into 4 – 5 parts and then I’m required to do 4 things:
1. Edit for readability and naturalness
2. Edit for word count and average sentence length
3. Edit out difficult words and phrases for equally meaningful easier words and phrases
4. Add in GPOD (grammatical patterns on demand)
So which of these do you imagine causes the most gray hair?
I’ll answer next week, unless I get any comments before then!